Tuesday, February 26, 2008

HomeMade Sausage





It's a cold windy wintry day here in eastern KY. What a perfect day for homemade sausage! After I saw this post http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2008/02/breakfast-sausage-to-begin-day.html I knew I had to have me some homemade sausage! Here is her original recipe and noted are the changes I made.
Breakfast sausage
Ingredients:
2 lbs of ground pork (our market didn't have ground pork so I bought pork rump roast and ground it in my kitchen aid grinder attachment)
1 tablespoon of sage
2 teaspoons of marjoram ( I used 1 t.)
2 teaspoons of thyme (I used 1 t.)
2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes (I used 1 t.)
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (omitted)
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
Method:1. Mix all ingredients together.2. Form into patties and fry six minutes on each side.Keeps in the refrigerator for a week.Note: The spice measurements are not an exact science, and what I tend to do while mixing is pinch off a little bit and fry it up to see if I like the flavor. This is what I start with, but feel free to experiment.
I also added the spices prior to grinding the meat (per my daddy's suggestion) It incorporates the spices better throughout the meat. Also after I got the sausage ground and the seasoning right. I made patties and froze them on a cookie sheet. I added freezer paper between the patties and placed them in a freezer bag. I thought the sausage was pretty yummy; next time I will use a little less sage. It would be yummy on pizza!

No comments: